North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer: Resolution Makes Clear U.S. Must Prevent a Nuclear Ir

Daily newsbrief journal for May 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Hoyer: Resolution Makes Clear U.S. Must Prevent a Nuclear Ir

Postby admin » Thu May 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Hoyer: Resolution Makes Clear U.S. Must Prevent a Nuclear Iran

WASHINGTON, DC - House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) spoke on the House Floor today in support of a resolution on the importance of preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapons capability. Below are his remarks and a link to the video.

Click here to watch the video.
http://www.democraticwhip.gov/content/h ... capability
"I thank the gentleman from California for yielding and for his leadership on this issue. Rep. Howard Berman has been the leader in Congress when it comes to reminding us how important it is to prevent the rise of a nuclear Iran. He has been instrumental in securing funding for the deployment of the 'Iron Dome' anti-missile system to counter the threat from Iranian-supplied short-range rockets in the hands of terror groups like Hamas and Hezbollah.
“I rise in strong support of this resolution, which I am proud to cosponsor. The most significant threat to peace, regional security, and American interests in the Middle East is Iran’s nuclear program. This resolution makes clear that it is in America’s security interest not to contain a nuclear Iran but to prevent one.
“A nuclear Iran would destabilize an already volatile region where so many Americans troops are stationed and one so vital to the world’s energy supplies. Iran continues to be a sponsor of groups committed to the destruction of our ally Israel and that threaten Americans throughout the world. Iran is believed to be pursuing not only a nuclear capability but also delivery technologies that could threaten our allies in Europe and the Middle East as well as American assets in the region.
“Thankfully, the Obama administration has taken a strong lead in confronting Iran. President Obama has built a wide coalition of support that has imposed the strongest sanctions Iran has ever faced. In particular, we’re hitting the Iranian government where it hurts most: its oil exports and its banking sector. From the very start, his policy has been not containment but prevention.
“This resolution reaffirms the administrations prevention policy, and I urge my colleagues to pass it as a strong sign that Iran must not be allowed to obtain a nuclear weapon.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to May 2012