North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Community of Democracies Appoints First Secretary-General

Daily newsbrief journal for April 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Press Statement
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of StateWashington, DC

April 17, 2012

I was pleased to learn that the Governing Council of the Community of Democracies (CD) unanimously selected Sweden’s Ambassador-at-Large for Democracy, Maria Leissner, as the CD’s first Secretary-General-Designate. Her appointment marks a major step in the Community’s transformation from a forum for democracies to convene, into an operational hub for democracy assistance and promotion. As chair of the CD’s reform working group and a key leader of the intergovernmental coalition’s revitalization over the last two years, Ambassador Leissner has brought together a diverse array of partners to provide concrete support for democracies in transition. I send my deepest congratulations to Ambassador Leissner, and I look forward to working with her as we support emerging democracies and civil society around the world.

PRN: 2012/590
admin
Site Admin

Return to April 2012