North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement on FY 2010 Supplemental Appropriations Act

for realtime updates follow @usdemocrats @canadademocrats

Postby admin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 pm

WASHINGTON, DC – House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today on Fiscal Year 2010 Supplemental Appropriations Act (HR 4899), which passed the House today:

“I am pleased that my colleagues supported the Fiscal Year 2010 emergency supplemental, sending it to President Obama for his signature. This important bill funds our troops, gets them the support and resources they need, and ensures that they can continue their operations in the field, where they are risking their lives in our country’s service.

“By passing this supplemental, we can continue funding a counterinsurgency strategy in Afghanistan: a clear strategy after years of neglect under President Bush, and a strategy that can prevent Afghanistan from re-emerging as a terrorist-dominated state that poses a threat to the American people.

“Under President Obama’s renewed focus on Afghanistan, the United States has killed or captured hundreds of terrorist leaders, including much of the top leadership of al-Qaeda and the Taliban. But at the same time, the president has also committed us to a clear timeframe to evaluate the effectiveness of our efforts and to change our approach if it proves ineffective. The president is taking a wise and balanced approach in Afghanistan, and it deserves our support. The supplemental also funds our troops as they make a responsible redeployment from Iraq, allowing the Iraqi government to stand on its own two feet.

“Around the world, and particularly under immense pressure in Iraq and Afghanistan, our troops have carried out their duty with great courage and self-sacrifice; they have our unconditional respect. And while the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have proven long and difficult, we also ought to support a flexible strategy that recognizes the importance of success in those nations to the security of the American people.

“I am also glad that this bill includes critical funding to help the Haitian people recover from this year’s devastating earthquake, as well as to help communities across our own country cope with natural disasters. But I am disappointed that many important domestic investments were not included in this bill, including investments in our children’s educations and in access to higher education for so many deserving, qualified students. Unfortunately, Republicans have chosen to obstruct those provisions; they need to understand that they are obstructing our economic recovery, as well. However, because it is so important to fund our troops before leaving for the August district work period, I am pleased that a majority of my colleagues chose to vote yes.”

###
admin
Site Admin

Return to July 2010