North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Congress Mourns Tragedy in Boston

Daily newsbrief journal for April 2013, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/weblog for a global compendium library and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:59 am

MESSAGE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC WHIP

This week, I join with Americans across the country to mourn the victims of the devastating bombings in Boston. My thoughts and prayers are with all impacted by the tragedy, and I thank our nation’s brave first responders, police, and medical personnel for their courageous response to this horrific attack. I continue to be inspired by the resilience, patriotism, and bravery of my fellow Americans and I am grateful for the progress law enforcement has made in such a short period of time. I hope they will be successful in apprehending the remaining suspect as soon as possible, so the communities devastated by this attack can begin the healing process and return to regular operations. My thoughts and prayers are also with the people of West, Texas, as they begin a difficult and challenging recovery after the deadly explosions.

Like 90% of Americans, I am disappointed that the Senate failed to adopt the reasonable, bipartisan compromise that would have closed loopholes in federal background check laws. Congress owes it to every family across our country to pass comprehensive legislation that will make it harder for criminals and the mentally ill to obtain deadly firearms while protecting the constitutional rights of responsible gun-owners. The effort to improve background checks is far from over and we will continue working towards common-sense solutions that will make our communities safer.

Throughout this week, several bipartisan measures were passed in the House that address a critical national security challenge, cybersecurity. The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act that passed the House yesterday represents a significant improvement from last year’s bill, and I hope the Senate will pass a cybersecurity bill quickly so that we can go to conference and begin working toward a final bill that protects our citizens and businesses against cyber threats while also protecting our online privacy and civil liberties.

In the weeks, months and years ahead, I know our nation will continue to come together in the face of this week’s horrors, and prove the American spirit is strong and unwavering.

Sincerely yours,

STENY H. HOYER
admin
Site Admin

Return to April 2013