North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement on Equal Pay Day

Daily newsbrief journal for April 2013, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/weblog for a global compendium library and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

WASHINGTON, DC – House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today recognizing Equal Pay Day, which marks how far into the year a woman must work to earn as much as a man earned the previous year:

“On Equal Pay Day, we note the unfair disparity that continues to undermine America’s role as a beacon of equality and equal opportunity. We must not accept the fact that women in America still earn only 77 cents for each dollar earned by a man in the same job based on annual wages. I am proud that the first bill Democrats enacted in the 111th Congress was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. We will continue to promote legislation that will close the gender pay gap and expand equal opportunities for women in the workplace.

“One example of a bill Congress ought to take up and pass right away is the Paycheck Fairness Act, of which I am a cosponsor and which will make it harder for employers to pay women less or retaliate against employees who seek equal compensation. On this Equal Pay Day, I continue to call for an end to the gender pay gap and hope that Democrats and Republicans can work together to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act swiftly into law.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to April 2013