North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

A Thanksgiving Day Note ...from Michael Moore

Daily newsbrief journal for November 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global compendium library and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Postby admin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 am

Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

Friends,

As tough as times still are, I hope you can join me today in giving thanks that our country seems to have turned a corner – away from politicians who win with hate and fear, and toward a future where we can be the best of who we are. It's a good day to heed the wise words of Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 on his first Thanksgiving in office:

"May we ask guidance in more surely learning the ancient truth that greed and selfishness and striving for undue riches can never bring lasting happiness or good to the individual or to his neighbors. May we be grateful for the passing of dark days ... for the brighter day to which we can win through by seeking the help of God in a more unselfish striving for the common bettering of mankind."

Since then it's always been two steps forward and one step back ... or sometimes it's felt like 200 steps forward and 199 steps back. But today I'm thankful we're moving in the right direction and picking up speed.

(Also, I'm not saying there's a connection, but in 1934, just one year after FDR spoke of the "common bettering of mankind," the Lions moved from Portsmouth, Ohio to Detroit and established the Thanksgiving Day Classic so that on this special day, before we sit down with loved ones to give thanks, we get to watch the Lions lose. Pass the turkey!)

Yours,
Michael Moore
MMFlint@MichaelMoore.com
@MMFlint
MichaelMoore.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to November 2012