North America weblog
International weblog
Democrats twitter directory
Latest Government Jobs and Public Tenders
Jobs Matrix
Global Travel Information
Pop Entertainment Forum
Start Portal

Please make a donation to support upkeep of the daily news journal, back archives, twitter feeds and the compendium library.

Hoyer Statement on Anniversary of Americans with Disabilitie

Daily newsbrief journal for July 2012, also see http://www.usdemocrats.com/brief for a global 100-page perpetual brief and follow twitter @usdemocrats

Hoyer Statement on Anniversary of Americans with Disabilitie

Postby admin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Hoyer Statement on Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act

WASHINGTON, DC – House Democratic Whip Steny H. Hoyer (MD) released the following statement today in honor of the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Whip Hoyer was the lead House sponsor of the ADA, helping to enact it into law with bipartisan support:
“I join in marking the twenty-second anniversary of the enactment of the Americans with Disabilities Act on July 26, 1990. I was incredibly proud to lead the effort in Congress to pass this landmark legislation and see it signed into law. Since 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act has enabled more than 50 million people with disabilities to participate more fully and more equally in our society.
“Today, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee took another step forward in opening opportunities for those with disabilities by approving the U.N. Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities. President Obama signed this international treaty in July 2009, making the U.S. one of 153 nations to have done so to date, and it now awaits ratification by the Senate. The Convention would enshrine in international legal practice a commitment to upholding the dignity of all people with disabilities and their right to pursue economic opportunities, make health care decisions on their own behalf, and participate in democratic institutions, among others. I commend Chairman Kerry and Ranking Member Lugar for holding today’s markup of the Convention, and I call on the full Senate to ratify this treaty without delay.
“On this anniversary, let us recommit ourselves to the values of inclusion and equal opportunity that led to the bipartisan passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990. In helping all Americans live up to their full potential, we strengthen the bonds that tie us together as one nation. Together, let us continue removing obstacles to those with disabilities and expanding opportunities for all.”

Visit http://www.democraticwhip.gov/ for more press, floor and member resources.
admin
Site Admin

Return to July 2012